Final Reflection

During my learning journey in the Effective communication module, I was able to gain lots of
experience in presenting and in report writing. At the start of the module, my aim was to be better prepared in presenting and to be able to communicate better in a team. I was able to achieve this goal as I felt that I was more confident when presenting especially during the presentation showcase. Other than the improvement in presentation, I felt that I was able to better communicate in a team as my team was able to manage our time well and have our ideas in sync even though we had only 3 members. This module has also taught me how to craft a proper technical report. I believe that having this skill would better prepare me for projects in jobs as well as for the IWSP in year 2. 

The presentation showcase gave me the opportunity to use the skills taught to me to present myself in front of a large audience. I was not as nervous as compared to my first audience back in secondary school as the audience were not as big or as intimidating as back then. However, I still had cold feet when I went up to present but I was able to pull through. I believed that I did better as compared to the first presentation in class as I did not repeat my points and was able to properly transition my points to the next speaker. When it was time for questions and answers, I had a hard time understanding the question asked. I should have clarified with the judge on his question before answering him so that he could get the answer that he needed. Overall, even though my team did not receive any placing, we were able to gain experience in public speaking.

With all that I have learnt from this module, I believe that there are still lots of room for improvement in my presentation skills. I learn that I need to build up my confidence in presenting by better preparing myself and understanding my content rather than remembering a script. I truly enjoyed working with my team, getting to know each other's strengths and weaknesses in communication and lastly, thank you Professor Brad for the guidance throughout this trimester.

Comments

  1. Dear Haziq,


    Thank you for this detailed reflection. I appreciate how you mention that the initial concerns you had for your comm skills and the goals set at the term's start -- for more effective team work comm and more confidence in oral presenting -- aligned with some of your project work, and that you now feel you improved on those. You mention the oral presenting, in particular, and how your various presentation opportunities have helped to deepen your confidence and strengthen your delivery in general.

    I'm also happy to learn that you valued participating in the presentation showcase. You and your team members did a very commendable job in terms of content and delivery, and I appreciate youy embracing the opportunity.

    In general, you made a very good effort this term. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts